Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Project Playroom

I have been showing you updates to our guestroom over the last few months and just as I got it all complete we have decided to turn that room into a kids playroom.  I had a hard time making this decision because the guestroom is finally exactly how I want it, BUT it just makes the most sense.  We have another baby on the way and there are just so many toys!  I cannot believe how large kids toys are too!  Right now they are all in our family room and honestly they drive me crazy!  We have a castle in one corner of our room....not exactly the look I am going for :)
So, we have a bedroom (currently the guest room) right off the kitchen/family room and it really is the perfect location for the playroom.  It is close enough to the family room/kitchen that I can hear exactly what is going on in that room.  I am also looking forward to being able to watch some adult shows (you know like E News, HGTV) on our family TV while I cook instead of Mickey, Bubble Guppies, you get the idea!

So, I am in the planning stages now and will be posting updates as I go along.  I am hoping to get this project done by the end of July.

Here is our floor plan

DOWNSTAIRS:
The green section is where we spend 90% of our time (kitchen/family room).  The pink room is currently the guestroom, but soon to be the playroom...you can see how close it is to everything...perfect location!
 UPSTAIRS:
This is the upstairs floor plan and the pink section is currently just a bonus room that is not being used at all.  It really makes total sense for this to become the guest room.  We will use the downstairs room as a playroom so so so much more!

Here is a photo of the current guest room with some of the changes I want to make
This is the view as you enter the room and the far left wall would be perfect for an entire chalk board wall.  I love the way those look in playrooms.  Here is an inspiration photo below.
The back wall of the current guestroom I want to be an entire media center wall.  I want lots of storage for all of the kids toys.
This is a Pottery Barn media system that is an inspiration for the layout, but I want to use more antique painted furniture....are you surprised :)  Here is a mock up I made to give an idea of what I am thinking....
I am on the hunt for the perfect antique sideboard for the media center.  I will be using Ikea Kallax Shelving units on both sides of the media stand in white. They are only $64.99 each.  Much cheaper than anywhere else I found.
The middle of the room will have a vintage distressed kids table that I need to refinish.  I am going to do it in a distressed Robin Eggs Blue.  Here is what it currently looks like....UGLY!  Great bones, but needs some TLC.
I love these SUNDVIK chairs from IKEA in Grey and they are only $19.99 each.  I will be getting 4 of these for around the table and painting vintage numbers on them.
This was my inspiration photo for the numbered chairs.
photo via Design Mom

One of the walls (the long wall on the right when you walk into the room) will be a combo of book ledges from Ikea and a wall gallery for kids art.
 Ikea Ribba Photo Ledge $14.99 each
I cannot wait to have her castle, kitchen and easel in this room!
As the kids get older I will frame their art and hang it around the playroom as well as get some large canvas photos of them playing together, but in the mean time I am loving these wall art options...
I need to work this chalkboard pennant in the room somewhere...I love it.  It is from Pottery Barn Kids and you can find it here.

So...I have lots of work to do, but I am so excited to get started.  I will be blogging as I go so stay tuned for the transformation!

Mock-up of playroom design:




1 comment:

  1. I love your floorplan- where do I find it?

    ReplyDelete